Suspected kidnappers have abducted four members of the family of the Chief Imam of Jama’atu Izalatil Bid’ah Wa Iqamatus Sunnah (JIBWIS) in Digare town, Imam Abubakar Muhammad Digare, in Alkaleri local government area of Bauchi State.
The attack occurred around 10:34 p.m. on Saturday night while residents were about to go to bed. The gunmen stormed the area, firing several gunshots before invading the Imam’s residence.
Hon. Buba Jauro, the councillor representing Digare Ward, confirmed the incident in a telephone interview with our correspondent.
“Yesterday around 10:34 p.m., we heard a gunshot, then another shortly after. We thought it was security personnel responding to the insecurity in the area,” he said.
“About five minutes later, we heard six more gunshots. That was when we realised something was wrong and asked people who were still outside to disperse and return home. Before we entered our houses, we heard another four gunshots.”
Jauro explained that the gunmen targeted the residence of the Chief Imam, who reportedly escaped before the attackers could gain access to his room.
According to him, the attackers initially abducted three of the Imam’s wives but later released two. They eventually left with one wife, the Imam’s son, and two other children believed to be his nieces.
Residents described the incident as chaotic, saying the attackers operated swiftly and fled the community shortly after abducting the victims. Several women and children were reportedly among those taken during the raid.
He, however, disclosed that one of the Imam’s mobile phones, which had been left charging in the house, was taken by the attackers.
The councillor noted that although security personnel were stationed in the town, residents remained in panic following the attack. He added that, as of the time of filing this report, the kidnappers had not contacted the family to demand ransom.
However, confirming the incident, the spokesperson of the Bauchi State Police Command, SP Nafiu Abubakar, said four persons were abducted.
He said, “The Police received a report on 15th February, 2026, at about 0941hrs, regarding a kidnapping incident that occurred on 14th February, 2026, at 2230hrs in Anguwan Madaki, Degare village of Alkaleri LGA.
“The complainant reported that unknown gunmen broke into his residence and abducted four female family members: Rukayya Junaidu (19), Nafisa Zubairu (19), Safiya Imam Lata (18), and Maryam Dadalliya (30).”
He added that the kidnappers also stole two black Tecno phones, according to the complainant, Alh. Jinaidu Muhammad.
According to him, a joint rescue operation involving police, army, and vigilante groups successfully rescued two individuals including Lawiza Abubakar (35) and Musa Abdullahi (10) unhurt.
He said the State’s Commissioner of Police, CP Sani-Omolori Aliyu, assured the public that Police and the operatives of other sister agencies were working diligently to locate and rescue the remaining abducted persons and apprehend the perpetrators.

