Over 200 residents of Woro and neighbouring communities in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State are feared dead following a deadly attack by armed religious extremists, with dozens of women abducted and families displaced.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers stormed Woro community around 5:15 p.m. on Tuesday, firing into the air before launching a coordinated assault from about 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
However, they said a military aircraft briefly forced the attackers to withdraw, but residents reported that the gunmen returned after it left. They reportedly called people to the mosque for prayer and resumed killings until about 2:00 a.m.
“They first shot into the sky. When the aircraft came, they hid, but after it left, they returned and continued killing till morning,” a resident said.
Local sources stated that over 170 bodies have so far been buried, while more than 100 victims remain missing or are yet to be recovered as search efforts continue.
It was gathered that dozens of women were also taken away by the attackers to an unknown location.
Asabe, a resident of Woro, described the situation: “We cannot ascertain the number of persons killed now. We have counted over 200 bodies of our relatives. They were scattered around the mosque, houses, where the assailants personally called people for prayer and along major roads.
“We only managed to escape as our house was also set on fire. Many people died in their houses as the attackers set fire to them.”
DAILY POST learnt that Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, who arrived Woro at midnight between Wednesday and Thursday with security commanders and officials, reportedly refused to leave the community until the President approved the deployment of troops to the area.
A resident, Bello Sadiq, told our correspondent, “Since the governor’s arrival at midnight on Wednesday, he has slept here in Woro. He has refused to leave. As I am talking to you now (5 p.m.), he is still here. He insisted that he will not leave until reinforcements arrive.”
Condemning the attack as barbaric and despicable, the governor offered prayers for the victims and said everything would be done to protect the lives and rights of citizens.
He reiterated that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu had approved the immediate take-off of Operation Savannah Shield, with the deployment of an army battalion to prosecute counter-offensives and prevent further attacks.
The governor also directed the Kwara State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) to provide urgent support for survivors.
The Village Head of Woro, Alhaji Saliu Bio Umar, thanked the Governor for the condolence visit, saying it brought comfort to the community.
As at the time of filing this report, panic had spread across the Borgu area after residents learned that the same extremists behind the Woro killings were approaching the area.
The development reportedly caused a stampede as people fled in different directions, with several residents sustaining injuries.
“We heard those killing people in Woro are coming to New Bussa (Borgu), and it created panic. Markets closed abruptly while families abandoned their homes. There is tension everywhere, and people are currently living in fear. Security agencies have been alerted. In fact, we need help,” a resident stated.
Kwara: Over 200 feared dead in Woro attack as panic spreads to Borgu


