1.5 C
New York

Sanusi II Will Remain Emir Of Kano – Governor Yusuf

Published:

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has ruled out any plan to remove thr 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, insisting that his recent political alignment with the centre will not alter the status of the Kano Emirate or affect the monarch’s position on the throne.

According to Weekend Trust, Governor Yusuf spoke on Friday through his spokesman, Sanusi Bature, saying that there was “absolutely no plan or agreement” that would lead to Sanusi II’s removal.

“There is no plan to replace Emir Sanusi on the throne of Kano,” he said. “The appointment of the emir was done after the emirates law had been repealed, and there is no plan at the executive level for any further amendment.

“Emir Sanusi has been duly appointed in accordance with the repeal law, and this defection to the APC will not in any way change the status quo. Emir Sanusi remains the Emir of Kano. There is no move, no intention to substitute him.”

He described the renewed speculation as unfounded rumours being circulated by individuals “who do not mean well for Kano State”.

“People should disregard such rumours,” he said. “There must be a clear understanding of the distinction between institutions. The traditional institution is non-partisan. What His Excellency did was to restore the lost glory and integrity of that institution.”

On whether the government was engaging with Emir Bayero camp or those opposed to Emir Sanusi’s reinstatement, Bature said no such outreach had begun.

“Not yet,” he said, adding that the government was appealing to Bayero and his supporters to prioritise peace.

“We want to appeal to him and his co-sponsors to please, in the interest of peace, stability and economic prosperity of Kano State, distance themselves from the ongoing claim of awaiting reinstatement.”

The governor’s assurance came amid renewed speculation over the long-running Kano emirate crisis, following his defection to the All Progressives Congress (APC), a move that has raised questions about whether the political realignment could lead to a reversal of Sanusi’s reinstatement.

For about to two years, Kano has been locked in an unprecedented royal deadlock, with two emirs laying claim to the same exalted stool.

Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II continues to operate from the historic Gidan Rumfa palace, while Emir Aminu Ado Bayero remains at the Nassarawa mini-palace, each backed by rival political interests.

Sanusi, who was deposed in March 2020 by then Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje and replaced with Bayero, was reinstated in May 2024 by Governor Yusuf.

The reinstatement followed the passage of the Kano State Emirates Councils (Repeal) Law 2024 by the state House of Assembly, which abolished the five emirates created under the 2019 law widely seen as instrumental to Sanusi’s initial removal.

By repealing that law, the Yusuf administration restored Kano to a single-emir structure, removing Bayero and the other first-class emirs appointed under the previous arrangement.

Despite this, Bayero continued to lay claim to the throne, reportedly enjoying security backing and tacit recognition from some federal authorities, further deepening the crisis.

The prolonged standoff sharply divided loyalties within the revered emirate and fractured what had long been a closely knit royal family, as political interests increasingly shaped traditional allegiances.

Fresh permutations emerged earlier this week after Governor Yusuf defected to the APC, aligning with former governor Ganduje, who is widely regarded as a key supporter of Bayero.

The defection also marked a major rupture between Yusuf and his former political benefactor, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, under whose influence Sanusi was believed to have secured his reinstatement.

This political realignment fuelled speculation that the emirate dispute could be revisited as part of broader reconciliation efforts within the APC.

The questions gained further traction on Thursday after the Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, hinted that the prolonged crisis might be nearing resolution.

Speaking on a radio programme in Kano, Waiya said the state government had put “concrete measures” in place to restore lasting peace and stability, adding that the “two emirs” stalemate was approaching its conclusion.

Though he offered no specifics, his remarks were widely interpreted as suggesting that the government might be exploring a political settlement, either by reinstating Bayero and removing Sanusi, or by retaining Sanusi while offering Bayero a face-saving exit, possibly through a federal appointment.

Social media platforms were soon awash with speculation, with many framing the development as a possible “second removal” of Sanusi, allegedly linked to the growing rift between Governor Yusuf and Kwankwaso.

But responding to the speculation, the governor on Friday categorically ruled out any plan to alter Sanusi’s status as Emir of Kano.

Asked whether the emirate dispute featured in negotiations preceding the governor’s defection to the APC, Bature dismissed the suggestion, insisting the matter was not political.

“The emirate issue is not a political decision. It is the personal interest of some individuals,” he said.

“It should not be discussed during a serious political decision like this.

“The governor has the constitutional right to appoint or remove an emir. That decision was taken long ago, and it is exclusive to him. For us, this issue is immaterial at this point.”

He also urged the former emir, Aminu Ado Bayero, to dissociate himself from political manoeuvring.

“I want to use this opportunity to appeal to the former Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, to recuse himself from being used by some people and to contribute positively to the Kano First agenda by ensuring political stability in the state,” he said.

On whether the government intended to extend an olive branch to those campaigning for Bayero’s reinstatement, Bature said identifying them posed a challenge.

“Some of them are faceless,” he said.

“But this is a new era and a new beginning. His Excellency is willing to engage with anyone, directly or indirectly, who has something to contribute to Kano’s development. Kano comes first, above personal interest and politics.”

Related articles

spot_img

Recent articles

spot_img